Country: Bulgaria
Date: 27th June 2012

I want to be a true Muslimah, can you please advise me?

Question

Actually i would like to be a true muslimah but it never happens....

I want to be a true muslimah, my heart is always tempting about someone.

I want to control such things.

Can u please help??

Answer

Every Muslim possesses the hidden and priceless treasure of Eemaan. The level of Eemaan within the heart differs from person to person. One person may have strong Eeman, so he has a stronger anti- virus against committing sin. While another person might have weak Eemaan, so the anti- virus within himself is much weaker and cannot protect him from the “virus” of sins.

Every person should continue making an effort on strengthening his/her Eeman so that the anti – virus within the heart becomes stronger, thus enabling one to be protected and guarded against the virus of sins.

The mere intention to become a better, more Islamically inclined Muslim is indeed a very good sign. In fact, that is the very first stage of Tasawwuf and Ihsaan. Nevertheless, one needs to translate that good intention into actions. You will have to make a concerted effort on the Nafs (lower carnal self) to protect yourself from sins. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) promises those who make Mujahadah (make an effort to reform) with guidance.

You have mentioned that your heart is being tempted to engage in a relationship with someone:

We advise you to cut off all relationship with this person, whether it is physically, emotionally or mentally. Abstain from all contact with this person. A person would not put his hand on a live wire since he knows the dangers of such an action.

Whenever, the thought or image of this person crosses the heart and mind, immediately shun that thought and recite the following Du’aa:

لا حول و لا قوة الا بالله

“La Hawla Wa La Quwwate Illa BiAllah”

“There is no power to restrain oneself from sin and there is no power to do any good except in Allah”

One of the most difficult things on the Nafs is to take away its food, i.e. Haraam pleasures. Substitute that with the food of Ibadat, Salaah, Zikr, etc. and you will experience the joy and pleasure in worshipping the true beloved who is Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala).

Kindly refer to the Dar al- Mahmood website at the following link for more details:

http://tasawwuf.daralmahmood.org/how-can-i-save-myself-from-a-natural-desire-coming-in-my-mind

Moualana Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa