Asked Country: South Korea

Answered Date: Jun 27,2012

Title: Does the following words constitute Shirk?

Question

Aww. does it constitute shirk if someone says my son will become my

'sahaara' support in old age...she did not mean shirk , just that Allah make

him pious and a waseela of help,  may he be of support and help in her old

age. hear from you soon. wslm

Answer

The word “Sahara” is an Urdu word meaning “support/help”. It is not a specific name or attribute of Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala), therefore, the statement “My son will become my Sahara” does not constitute Shirk.

The statement in reference is merely a Du’aa that the son assists the mother in her old age. That does not constitute Shirk as long as the mother believes that Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) is the real supporter and helper.

Moulana Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa