Country: Saudi Arabia
Date: 19th June 2012

Does Islam allow parents to love one child over the other?

Question

Dear Sir,

Asalamualikum.

I live abroad leaving my family alone in my own house with 3 kids.  Earlier I used to stay with my parents but when I constructed my house I shifted in my house.  I requested my parents to stay with my wife but they refuse to do so because they only like to stay with my two brothers family whom they like most.

My question is does islam allows parents to love one son and leave the other one. I respect my parents and my wife too respects them but they show the partiality to my elder sister-in-laws not for me.  Could you please suggest me what I should do in this matter.

Jazakallah Khair.

Answer

The feeling you have about your parents’ preferential love is in fact a ploy of shaitān to sow ill feeling in your hearts. You should be understanding to your parents’ preferences and comfort. If they are at ease living with your siblings then this should make you happy, since their comfort is your concern. Keep making dua and respecting your parents. Whenever the need arises for your services then make yourself available, Inshallah you will be rewarded for you intentions.

Mawlana Ali bin Cassim,
Los Angeles, U.S.A