Answered Date: May 23,2012

Title: Is investing with a specified profit in return permissible?

Question

I have a question in regards to business dealings.

A brother wants to invest '(for example $5000) in a business, and the one receiving the $5000 says I will return your 5000, plus $2000 in a period of 1 year.

The lender and borrower both agree on the terms of $5000 + $2000 return.

My question is, is that extra $2000 haraam ?

Answer

The initial amount $5000 is a loan forwarded to the borrower. Any surplus return on a loan is Riba and completely impermissible.

A Sharīah Compliant alternative is through Mudārabah Contract. Please read through the detail guideline on the Mudharabah contract at: http://daruliftaa.net/sharcompliancy/Download-document/Mudarabah-Agreement.html

Also read detail guidelines on both Musharakah Partnership and Mudarabah Partnership at :http://daruliftaa.net/sharcompliancy/Download-document/Musharakah-and-Mudarabah-Excerpt-from-Introduction-to-Finance.html

Mawlana Faisal bin Abdul Hameed,
Montréal, Canada