Asked Country:

Title: How should we treat our brother who mistreated our mother and repented for his action?

Question

As-sal-amo-alik-kum, Respected Sir, This question is concerning my family and this incident occurred long back. Due to some problem and tension in the family, My younger brother scolded and slapped our Mother. But as the time passed on he became very obedient to them (parents) and served them well. In those days he was in very much stressed period as his marriage was heading to divorce, In the same condition he had some quarrel with mother which led him to slap. Now thankfully to Allah (SWT) both his wife and him (brother) are obedient to them and serving them well. My question is what is the kaffarh of my brother for this heinous act and what should be our (as brothers and sisters) reaction while dealing with him. As we also support him financially. Jazakallah Khair, Talib-e-Dua, Was-salam.

Answer

Your brother committed a major sin by being abusive to your mother.

Alhmadulillah, he has changed his conduct and is now obedient to your parents. His kaffarah is to continue being obedient to his mother and serve her to the best of his ability. The siblings should also support him in being good to his mother and encourage him to continue serving his mother.