Category: Character, Morals (Akhlaaq)
Fatwa#: 20634
Asked Country:

Answered Date: Oct 22,2018

Title: How should we treat our brother who mistreated our mother and repented for his action?


As-sal-amo-alik-kum, Respected Sir, This question is concerning my family and this incident occurred long back. Due to some problem and tension in the family, My younger brother scolded and slapped our Mother. But as the time passed on he became very obedient to them (parents) and served them well. In those days he was in very much stressed period as his marriage was heading to divorce, In the same condition he had some quarrel with mother which led him to slap. Now thankfully to Allah (SWT) both his wife and him (brother) are obedient to them and serving them well. My question is what is the kaffarh of my brother for this heinous act and what should be our (as brothers and sisters) reaction while dealing with him. As we also support him financially. Jazakallah Khair, Talib-e-Dua, Was-salam.


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-ramatullahi wa-barakatuh.

Your brother committed a major sin by being abusive to your mother.

 Alhmadulillah, he has changed his conduct and is now obedient to your parents. His kaffarah is to continue being obedient to his mother and serve her to the best of his ability. The siblings should also support him in being good to his mother and encourage him to continue serving his mother.

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Hussein Muhammad.

Student Darul Iftaa

Arusha, Tanzania

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.