Asked Country: Finland

Answered Date: Jul 01,2015

Title: Is the fast invalidated in the following scenarios?

Question

I would like to ask you a few questions that are bothering me concerning Ramadhan. Firstly, if me and my husband are not married, are we allowed to kiss after sunset?

Secondly, when we are married, are we allowed to kiss, have sexual intercourse or practice any sexual touching after sunset?

Thirdly, is it allowed for him to perform the journey to Arabia during Ramadhan?

Fourthly, can he kiss me on my cheek before sunset? Are we allowed to hug before sunset?

And lastly, I would like to ask you how to stand by him and how to be supportive of him during the month of Ramadhan? It is difficult for me and I seem to cry most of the time which makes him feel bad and makes his fasting even harder for him.  Please if you have any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Answer

Islam advocates the most chaste, pure ethics and morals.  Any relationship with a marriageable opposite gender is deemed immoral.  Hence, if you are not married to your prospective spouse, it is impermissible to interact with him.  Simply have the nikāh (Islamic wedding ceremony) performed after which interaction with your spouse will not only be permissible, it will be rewarding and commendable. 

With regards to your second question, it is permissible to engage with your spouse after sunset in the manner expressed in the question. 

To visit the Holy Lands in Saudi Arabia in the month of Ramadhān is praiseworthy.  The Prophet salallahu alaihi wasallam said,

“Umrah in Ramadhan is equivalent to Hajj (in reward).”

(Ibn Hibbān)[1]

To kiss and embrace one’s wife in the state of fasting is permissible with the condition it does not lead to anything further.  However, it is better to abstain altogether as there is a high probability of one thing leading to another.[2]

Please elaborate what you mean by the following:

“I would like to ask you how to stand by him and how to be supportive of him during the month of Ramadhan? It is difficult for me and I seem to cry most of the time which makes him feel bad and makes his fasting even harder for him.” 

You may send your response to the following email address: admin@daruliftaa.net

Mawlana Faraz ibn Adam,

Leicester, United Kingdom

[1]   عن بن جريج، قال سمت عطاء يحدث عن بْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: "عُمْرَةٌ فِي رَمَضَانَ تَعْدِلُ حَجَّةً" (صحيح إبن حبان ج 9 ص 13 مؤسسة الرسالة)

[2] (وَ) كُرِهَ (قُبْلَةٌ) وَمَسٌّ وَمُعَانَقَةٌ وَمُبَاشَرَةٌ فَاحِشَةٌ (إنْ لَمْ يَأْمَنْ) الْمُفْسِدَ وَإِنْ أَمِنَ لَا بَأْسَ. (الدر المختار من رد المحتار ج 2 ص 417 أيج أيم سعيد)

وكذا في فتاوى محمودية ج 10 ص 145 إدارة الفاروق