Title: Can I share food with a Hindu?

Question

I am a student living in London. My friend is a Hindu and I have to share food with her which is not permissible in Islam. What should I do? She is also my friend so I cannot just tell her directly to go and eat somewhere else because that will be very rude. I am very tensed! Please let me know can I share food with a Hindu?

Answer

One of the integral aims of a Muslim is to call others to the success of this life and the hereafter. Through interaction with non-Muslims we are afforded the opportunity to display the beauty of Islam. Wherever we are we should be beacons for the guiding light of Islam. Islamic values and principles should be instilled in our lives so that we influence the people and environment around us. 

As Muslims our mission is to emulate our Beloved Prophet salallāhu alayhi wasallam in displaying high and lofty character. We should be an example for all in our conduct and dealings with those around us. Nabi salallāhu alayhi wasallam himself was known for his great personality even before the advent of Islam. In a like manner we should exert ourselves in displaying good conduct. Nabi salallāhu alayhi wasallam said,

مَا مِنْ شَيْءٍ أَثْقَلُ فِي الْمِيزَانِ مِنْ حُسْنِ الْخُلُقِ

“There is nothing weightier than good character on the scales (of Qiyamah).”

(Abu Dawood vol.4 pg.253; Maktabah al-Asriya)

Through sublime conduct we win the hearts of people and exemplify Islam in its practical form. Those around us will be attracted to that which governs our character. This in turn will feed people the understanding of Islam and how it creates the best of society.

If you have to share meals with non-Muslim colleagues then use the opportunity to share Islam and the character of Muslims. If you do this with the intention of propagating Islam then it is hoped that you will be rewarded. However in doing so, guard your Islamic values and practices.

Mawlana Ali bin Cassim
Los Angeles, CA (USA)