I am living and working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for the past 4 years. This Ramzaan we went for Umrah and stayed in Makkah till Eid. On the second day of Eid, we travelled to Jeddah and stayed for one complete day. On our way back to Riyaadh, we lost our directions and entered the Hudood-e-Haram.
There are few questions regarding the above situation.
1. Is there any penalty on us for entering Hudood-e-Haram without Ehraam?
2. Although we didn't go to Masjid-al-Haram for Namaaz/Tawaaf, was it allowed to do so?
I would like to ask few questions about women's Tahaarat:
1. Can a woman enter Masjid-al-Haram/Masjid-an-Nabawi or any other mosque during her periods?
2. In case not, what if someone has entered Masjid-al-Haram during such a condition?
3. Some children ask their mothers why they are not offering prayers. Is it allowed if one offers prayers in these days just to make an impression on their children?
Can we travel from our place to Makkah (without wearing Ehraam from Meeqaat) for offering Namaaz and Tawaaf only?
Please provide the answers in the view of all four A'immah Kiraam.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
1. When you lost your directions on your way back to Riyaadh because of which you landed up in the area of the Haram, there is one of two possibilities:
a) While lost, you went beyond any of the Meeqaat boundaries (i.e. in the direction away from Makkah) and thereafter re-entered and passed the Meeqaat (i.e. in the direction towards Makkah), and finally entered the boundaries of the Haram. In this case, because you were lost and thus entered the area of the Haram unintentionally, there is no penalty due on you.
b) While lost, you did not go beyond any of the Meeqaat boundaries, but remained within the Hill (i.e. that area between the Meeqaat and the area of the Haram), thereafter, you entered the area of the Haram unintentionally. In this case also, there is no penalty on you.
Therefore, in any case you do not have to give any penalty for entering the Haram without Ihraam.
2. It is not compulsory for a person who is in Makkah to perform Salaah and Tawaaf in the Masjidul-Haraam. If you did not go to the Masjidul-Haraam for Salaah and Tawaaf, there is no sin on you and neither is there any penalty due on you.
Answer to Question 2:
1. A woman is not allowed to enter Masjid-al-Haram/Masjid-an-Nabawi or any other mosque during her menses.
2. If she did enter during her menses, she will be sinful although there is no penalty on her. She should make sincere Taubah (repentance) for such an act which also entails making a firm intention not to repeat such a sin again.
3. A woman is not allowed to offer prayers in the days of her menses even if she does not intend performing actual Salaah but only does the actions to make an impression on her children that she is performing Salaah. What she should do is make Wudhu (ablution) and only sit on her Musallah (prayer mat) or in the place she normally performs Salaah (e.g. the corner of her room or what is referred to as 'the Salaah room'). In fact, it is Mustahab (commendable) for her to do this every time she is in menses and not only when she wants to make an impression on the children.
Answer to Question 3:
According to the Hanafi Madhab, principally, you cannot travel from Riyaadh to Makkah without wearing the Ihraam, even if you only intend performing Salaah and Tawaaf. It is necessary to enter into the state of Ihraam from the Meeqaat and perform Umrah or Hajj.
These answers are in accordance with the Hanafi Madhab.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Maulana Mahmood Patel
Azaadville, South Africa
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
 وَقَوْلُهُ (عَلَى قَصْدِ دُخُولِ مَكَّةَ) قَيَّدَهُ بِذَلِكَ لِأَنَّهُ لَوْ لَمْ يَقْصِدْ ذَلِكَ لَيْسَ عَلَيْهِ أَنْ يُحْرِمَ. (العناية شرح الهداية (2/ 425) دار الفكر-بيروت)
 [(وَحَلَّ لِأَهْلِ دَاخِلِهَا) يَعْنِي لِكُلِّ مَنْ وُجِدَ فِي دَاخِلِ الْمَوَاقِيتِ (دُخُولُ مَكَّةَ غَيْرَ مُحْرِمٍ) مَا لَمْ يُرِدْ نُسُكًا]
(قَوْلُهُ يَعْنِي لِكُلِّ إلَخْ) أَشَارَ إلَى أَنَّ الْمُرَادَ بِالْأَهْلِ مَا يَشْمَلُ مَنْ قَصَدَهُمْ مِنْ غَيْرِهِمْ كَمَا أَفَادَهُ قَبْلَهُ بِقَوْلِهِ أَمَّا لَوْ قَصَدَ مَوْضِعًا مِنْ الْحِلِّ إلَخْ (قَوْلُهُ غَيْرَ مُحْرِمٍ) حَالٌ مِنْ أَهْلِ وَلَمْ يَجْمَعْهُ نَظَرًا إلَى لَفْظِ أَهَلَّ فَإِنَّهُ مُفْرَدٌ وَإِنْ كَانَ مَعْنَاهُ جَمْعًا ح لِأَنَّ الْمَكِّيَّ إذَا خَرَجَ إلَى الْحِلِّ الَّذِي فِي دَاخِلِ الْمِيقَاتِ الْتَحَقَ بِأَهْلِهِ (الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (2/ 478) دار الفكر-بيروت)
 [(وَ) يَمْنَعُ حِلَّ (دُخُولِ مَسْجِدٍ)] (الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (1/ 291) دار الفكر-بيروت)
 المرجع السابق
 (قَوْلُهُ صَلَاةً) أَيْ يَمْنَعُ صِحَّتَهَا وَيُحَرِّمُهَا وَاعْتُرِضَ بِأَنَّهُ يُسْتَحَبُّ لَهَا الْوُضُوءُ وَالْقُعُودُ فِي مُصَلَّاهَا وَهُوَ تَشَبُّهٌ بِالصَّلَاةِ. اهـ تَأَمَّلْ
(الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (1/ 291-290) دار الفكر-بيروت)
 [(وَحَرُمَ تَأْخِيرُ الْإِحْرَامِ عَنْهَا) كُلِّهَا (لِمَنْ) أَيْ لِآفَاقِيٍّ (قَصَدَ دُخُولَ مَكَّةَ) يَعْنِي الْحَرَمَ (وَلَوْ لِحَاجَةٍ)] (قَوْلُهُ غَيْرَ الْحَجِّ) كَمُجَرَّدِ الرُّؤْيَةِ وَالنُّزْهَةِ أَوْ التِّجَارَةِ فَتْحٌ (الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (2/ 476-477) دار الفكر)