Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Title: Is she is in her Hayd or in Istihada?

Question

My wife – Alhamdulillah – delivered a baby boy on 14/12/2012 after Maghrib. She completed her Hayd period and became Paak on 30/01/2012 afternoon, but she spotted bleeding on 13/02/2012 before Maghrib.

My question is whether she is in her Hayd or in Istihada, whether she has to offer Salāh or not. The bleeding continued for two days with heavy flow and then it was just spottings. Please explain the concept of Hayd and Isthahada, its minimum and maximum period also.

Answer

You have stated: "My wife Alhamdulillah delivered a baby boy on 14/12/2012". This is obviously a typographical error, the date of receipt of the question being 16/02/2012.

Kindly resubmit the question clarifying the exact dates. Also, provide information of known patterns of cycles to make the question specific. In this way, we may dispense with an answer detailed with various inapplicable possibilities.

Also, keep in mind that bleeding after giving birth is generally called Nifās (postnatal bleeding) and should be distinguished from Haidh (menstruation).

The laws of Haidh, Nifās and Istihādhah (bleeding due to ailment) are somewhat intricate and cannot be summarized in a few words. You may refer to the English book:  'Tuhfatul Banaat (A Gift for the Daughters of the Ummah)' prepared by the Ta’limi Board of Jamiatul Ulamā (KZN), South Africa. It can be downloaded from the following link:

Maulana Mahmood Patel
Azaadville, South Africa

Checked and Approved by