Asked Country: Qatar

Title: What do we believe about non-Muslims who did not receive the message of Islam?

Question

I have full faith in my religion Islam, Alhamdulillah. But I have one question which I constantly ponder over. I want to know the criteria for which innocent non-Muslims will go to Jannah. Suppose some non-Muslims are very innocent, poor and deprived of worldly pleasure whilst they always do good deeds.

Will they still be kept in Jahanam forever? On the other hand Muslims who do many bad deeds but have little faith will be allowed to enter into Jannah one day? Do you think this is justified?

Answer

Allah Ta’ālā says in the Quran,

{إِنَّ الدِّينَ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ الْإِسْلَامُ }

“Verily the true religion with Allah is Islam”

Quran 3:19

The criterion for everlasting success in the sight of Allah Ta’ālā is to bring faith in Islam. One who has brought faith in the Oneness of Allah Ta’ālā and His Messenger Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam has secured his life in the hereafter. Nabi Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam said,

ثِنْتَانِ مُوجِبَتَانِ قَالَ رَجُلٌ: يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ مَا الْمُوجِبَتَانِ؟ قَالَ: (مَنْ مَاتَ يُشْرِكُ بِاللَّهِ شَيْئًا دَخَلَ النَّارَ وَمَنْ مَاتَ لَا يُشْرِكُ بِاللَّهِ شَيْئا دخل الْجنَّة)

“Two things dictate. A person asked, “Oh messenger of Allah, what are the two dictating things? He said, “Whosoever passed away ascribing partners to Allah will enter the fire of hell. And whosoever did not ascribe any partners to Allah will enter paradise.”

(Mishkaatul Masaabih vol.1 pg.17; Maktabatul Islami)

Islam is the measure of our eternal success. However determining who has Islam is something best known to Allah Ta’ālā. There are some people who may not expose their Islam due to the circumstances they face in this world. Considering this fact, it is not correct for anyone to judge who will be in Jannah or Jahannam. It is quite possible that those who we think are non-Muslims believe in Allah and His Messenger Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam. It is best to dismiss this affair as something which is best known to Allah Ta’ālā.

Mawlana Ali bin Cassim
Los Angeles, CA (USA)