Title: What is correct procedure when joining salat late.

Question

Please let me know the correct procedure for offering a Fard Salat if we join the jamaat after Sura Fathiha. Some people think they have completed 1 rakat if they join the salaat before ruku & some think that if they miss out sura Fatiha then they missed out 1 raka. I am from India & working in Oman, I do not know which Imam to follow i only know that iam a sunni muslim from india.

Answer

As-salāmu `alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

If a person joins the Iman while the Imam is still in ruku he have attained that rakat. [1] 

One who comes late and misses only Surah Faatiha he has not missed the rakat. 

Since you are from India, it is quite possible that you are a follower of the Hanafi Mazhab (school of thought). Although you are in Oman, you should still follow the Hanafih Madhab.

And Allah knows best. 

Mawlana Saeed Ahmed Golaub
Westmoreland, Jamaica, West Indies

Checked and Approved 

daruliftaa.net

[1] السنن الكبرى للبيهقي (2 / 128):

2580 - وَأَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ الْحَارِثِ الْفَقِيهُ، أنبأ أَبُو مُحَمَّدِ بْنُ حَيَّانَ، ثنا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ الْحَسَنِ، ثنا أَبُو عَامِرٍ مُوسَى بْنُ عَامِرٍ، ثنا الْوَلِيدُ يَعْنِي ابْنَ مُسْلِمٍ، أَخْبَرَنِي مَالِكٌ، وَابْنُ جُرَيْجٍ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ أَنَّهُ كَانَ يَقُولُ: " مَنْ أَدْرَكَ الْإِمَامَ رَاكِعًا، فَرَكَعَ قَبْلَ أَنْ يَرْفَعَ الْإِمَامُ رَأْسَهُ، فَقَدْ أَدْرَكَ تِلْكَ الرَّكْعَةَ "