Asked Country: Bangladesh

Title: I want to divorce my wife. What should I do?

Question

I am in a very difficult situation. My parents forced me into marrying a girl.  After marriage, I was not physically attracted to her and I decided to separate.  We have not had physical relations for six months and we are living in different rooms.  She doesn’t want to be divorced.  My father is still forcing me all the way he can to stay with the girl.  I tried but I cannot.  Even the girl and her family threaten me that they will take legal action against me if I divorce her.  Please suggest to me what I can do?  Is it already a divorce that I don’t stay with her for six months.

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

We make Du’āAllāhTa’ālā removes your difficulties.  Amīn.

It is clear from your explanation that you have a serious marital discord. You should identify a senior family member and confide in him.  Seek his counsel and request him to represent you in front of your father.  In such a situation, it is best to make Istikhārah and seek Divine guidance. 

Impress upon your father to allow you to make Istikharah and decide based on that.  In making Istikhārah be balanced and objective.  Keep on making Du’ā to Allāh to guide you.   InshaAllāh the help of Allāh will soon come your way.

MawlanaAbdul Azīm bin AbdurRahman,
Student DarulIftaa
US

MuftiEbrahim Desai.