Country: Saudi Arabia

Is it allowed to take photos of the Haramayn?

Question

I want to know whether it is allowed in Shariah to take pictures, if so, I find many people taking photographs in Makkah and Madinah even inside the masjid and mataf. Due to the construction of the clock tower people are starting to video record in the mataf of the clock tower.

I stop people from doing this act but need to confirm from you what does the Shariah say.

Answer

Taking photos as if one is on a holiday sightseeing is totally against the sanctity and respect of the blessed lands of Makkah al-Mukarramah and al-Madīnah al-Munawwarah. 

Makkah and al-Madīnah are the very lands upon which the blood of the Prophet salallahu alaihi wasallam and that of the sahabah was spilt.  These are the cities where there are angels descending constantly.  The mercy of Allah Ta’ālā is showering profusely.  They house innumerable places where the acceptance of dū’ā’ is guaranteed.  Thousands of pious people have step foot on these plains.  Hence, for us to be honoured with an opportunity to enter these lands and then go around taking photos as if we are on holiday is against morality and proper conduct. 

Advise people to take photos with the lens of the heart and not with the lens of the camera; we need the love and value of these blessed lands to be stored in the heart and not in the memory of our camera or cell phone.