Country: Mauritius

My husband drinks at night, how do I solve this problem?

Question

I am married for 8. My husband is a good man he performs  namaaz , he fasts , just that at nite he drinks alchol.I  have tried many times to speak to him but failed, He provides for me and my children but just the prodlem of drinking at nite.

Answer

As-salāmu `alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

Sister  in  Islam, 

1. We understand your difficulty. We make Du’aa that Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) alleviate you from your predicament. Aameen.

Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Salaam) said:  

النَّاسُ مَعَادِنُ كَمَعَادِنِ الْفِضَّةِ وَالذَّهَبِ

“People are mines like the mines of silver and gold”

(Saheeh Muslim, vol.4.pg.2031)

The Hadeeth expounds on the hidden positive qualities of people. If we only search for the hidden gems within people, we will definitely find it. We understand that your husband performs his Salaah, fasts and is a good person. These are the qualities of your husband which you are exposed to. There might be other unique qualities and attributes that your husband has which you are not aware of and are overshadowed due to drinking alcohol. 

2. When a person is addicted to something, it is very difficult for him to give up that addiction. Giving up an addiction often entails a process.

3. Deploy Hikmah(wisdom) when addressing such a sensitive issue with your husband. 

4. You are the best person to help your husband in abstaining from his evil habit of alcoholism. You know his temperament, circumstances and surroundings. Keep all that in mind when trying to stop him from his evil habit.

5. You may assist your husband by reducing his daily alcohol consumption. By doing so, he will slowly get rid of his evil habit. 

6. Contact a social support group where they will assist your husband in abstaining from alcoholism. Discuss the issue with an Aalim (Islamic Scholar) who may befriend your husband and assist him.

7. It will be a good idea to obtain a booklet on the prohibition, harms and evil effects of alcoholism and keep it within your husband’s view. This may prompt him to desist from the temptation of drinking alcohol. 

8. Duaa is the most powerful weapon of a believer. Implore Allah (Subahanu Wa Ta’ala) to change the condition of your husband.

And Allah knows best.

Maulana Ismail Desai,

Durban, South Africa

Checked and Approved

daruliftaa.net