Answered Date: Jul 04,2015

Title: Will giving zakah to a madrassa/institution absolve oneself from the obligation of zakah?

Question

I recently started teaching at a Madrassa and have noticed it needs some upgrading for example chalkboards, desks and carpets for one classroom. The madrassa is supervised by the Talimi Board but is being looked after by a parent. This is its third year running. I would like to know if I can use my zakat or sadaqah money to help buy the above mentioned things?

Answer

One of the conditions for the validity of discharging zakah is to give zakah to a legitimate recipient of zakah, being a poor and a needy person. .[i]

A madrassa is not a person and giving zakah to a madrassa will not absolve oneself from the obligation of discharging zakah. You may use sadaqah/lillah money to contribute to the wellbeing of the madrassa.

Mawlana Abdul Hannan Nizami,
USA

[i] الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (2/ 344)

وَيُشْتَرَطُ أَنْ يَكُونَ الصَّرْفُ (تَمْلِيكًا) لَا إبَاحَةً كَمَا مَرَّ (لَا) يُصْرَفُ (إلَى بِنَاءِ) نَحْوِ (مَسْجِدٍ ….

وَقَدَّمْنَا لِأَنَّ الْحِيلَةَ أَنْ يَتَصَدَّقَ عَلَى الْفَقِيرِ ثُمَّ يَأْمُرَهُ بِفِعْلِ هَذِهِ الْأَشْيَاءِ

الفتاوى الهندية - ط. دار الفكر (1/ 188)

وَلَا يَجُوزُ أَنْ يَبْنِيَ بِالزَّكَاةِ الْمَسْجِدَ وَكَذَا الْقَنَاطِرُ وَالسِّقَايَاتُ وَإِصْلَاحُ الطَّرَقَاتِ وَكَرْيُ الْأَنْهَارِ وَالْحَجُّ وَالْجِهَادُ وَكُلُّ ما لَا تَمْلِيكَ فيه وَلَا يَجُوزُ أَنْ يُكَفَّنَ بها مَيِّتٌ وَلَا يُقْضَى بها دَيْنُ الْمَيِّتِ كَذَا في التَّبْيِينِ

فتاوي محموديه (9/568) ادارة القرآن