Title: I am a new Muslim and need help going to the mosque?

Question

I am an Arab-Mexican girl who has been raised catholic but recently discovered Islam about two years ago. I have been reading a lot about Islam and I began to pray but I am very shy to go into a mosque although I am very eager to be there and maybe take some classes to better educate myself. I don’t know any Muslims and I am shy to call or go inside of a mosque. How should I go about approaching a mosque? Should I call them and what should I say? I don’t want to look foolish and I’m not sure if I would be welcomed. Please help me. Thank you.

Answer

We appreciate you writing to us about your concern. 

Sister we are very pleased to see you having a desire to go to the Mosque. As you may know the Mosques are in reality the houses of Allah Ta῾ālā. There is no place on the earth which is more beloved to Allah Ta῾ālā than His home. The mosque is a place which is open to all Muslims irrespective of your background or race. It is a place which is always frequented by the angels and where the mercy of Allah Ta῾ālā is constantly descending.

The mosque in the lives of Muslims from early on has always been a central point. Many historians have recognized that the strength of the Muslims was actually due to the Mosque. Everyday five times a day the Muslims were to meet each other in the atmosphere of the Mosque. Besides the main function of the Mosque which is to be a place of worship for Allah Ta῾ālā, various other types of virtuous deeds were conducted collectively by the Muslims. The Muslims would teach and learn in the mosque, they would also have meetings and discussions centered around the upliftment of other Muslims. In this way it was a place of socializing and networking all in the light of divine guidance. 

You should also avail of your local Mosque. It is a place by means of which you could strengthen your link with the Muslims of your community at the same time progress in your religious endeavors. There is no need to call the mosque before going. It is normally open for at least the five daily prayers. Enquire who the Imam is and meet with him. Explain your situation to him and he should be more than willing to assist you in meeting some sisters. You could have educational discussions with them and also perhaps take part in some classes as you mentioned.

It just takes some courage and focus on your side. Keep in mind all the benefits of being in the house of Allah Ta῾ālā and seek the assistance of Allah Ta῾ālā. We’re sure you’ll feel comfortable being part of the mosque. 

We make Dua that Allah Ta῾ālā opens the road for you and guides you in all your affairs.

Mawlana Ali bin Cassim
Los Angeles, CA (USA)