Title: Can I do Qurbani on behalf of my daughter?

Question

I am a salaried person earning Rs.20,000 per month. I am married and I have a six month old daughter. My wife has jewellery which is quite more than the zakat value and comes up to Rs1,20,000 which I was supposed to take on Ramazan- September 2011. But until now I am taking zakat amount every month based on my expenses. Till now I had taken only Rs 60,000 and we are a joint family. My dad has his own business and pays the Qurbani amount for a sheep.

My question is: for these years, can my father pay for the Qurbani of me and my wife, and can I give qurbani for my 6 month old daughter from my own money?

Answer

It will be permissible for your father to pay for your Qurbāni and the Qurbāni of your wife.[1] The condition is that they you and your wife have to explicitly give permission to your father to sacrifice on your behalves[2]. It is also be permissible for you to do Qurbāni on behalf of your daughter even though Qurbāni is not wājib on her.[3] [4]

Mufti Husain Kadodia

[1] فتاوى قاضي خان, ج.٣, ص.٣٥٠, مكتبة رشيدية 

[2]    فتاوى محمودية, ج.١٧, ص.٣١٩, ادارة الفاروق

[3] فتاوى محمودية, ج.١٧, ص٣١٣, ادارة الفاروق

[4] رد المحتار, ج.٩, ص.٤٥٧, دار التب العلمية