Date: 7th November 2011

Should I wear my kurta to work?

Question

As time has progressed I have come more in touch with my deen. This has created a situation for me at work where I am treated and assessed firstly as a Muslim and then the situation is dealt with.

What are my rights as a Muslim to wear my kurta other than on the day of Jumuah? And how do I present this case to substantiate that this is not a tradition but I am protecting my modesty from the lustful gazes of women as I am unmarried.

Answer

At the outset, we would like to commend you for getting more in touch with your deen and we pray that Allah keeps the zeal and eagerness to practice upon deen inside you, Aamīn.

Wearing a kurta is indeed a very good thing as it is the clothing of a lot of the pious people; however, there is flexibility in shariah when it comes to clothing. You should try to contact your superiors with respect and request to be allowed to wear a kurta. If they do not give you permission or if you are being hassled or discriminated against at your work place because of wearing a kurta, you may don a different attire as long as it is shariah compliant:

1.      The trousers, pants... shouldn’t be below the ankles

2.      The clothing shouldn’t be tight or revealing

3.      The clothes should not be such that when wearing them, a specific group of disbelievers comes to mind.

Insha-Allah, if you have the right intention and the will to stay away from the gazes of women, Allah will make it easy for you.

Mufti Husain Kadodia