Title: How to recompense for missed Qurbani?

Question

I am a revert who did not manage to pay for Qurbani last year due to circumstances, however this year I am more than willing to pay for both Qurbani if possible. Can you please also email me the banking details and the amount to be transferred so that I can transfer funds to the account.

Answer

Qurbani is an obligation upon anyone who meets the requirements for Qurbani. The requirements that have to be found in a person to do Qurbani are the following. The person must be a;

1) Free person (not a slave)

2) Muslim

3) Mature (adult)

4) Sane

5) Resident (not a traveler in terms of Shari’ah)

6) One who owns wealth equal to nisaab (after deducting liabilities)

You mentioned that you could not manage to pay for Qurbani last year. This could be in reference to you not meeting the requirements or other circumstances not allowing you to do Qurbani. If last year at the time of Qurbani you had met the above requirements then you were liable to make Qurbani.

Qurbani for past years can only be made up by giving cash equal to the value of Qurbani in charity. For the present year it is preferable that you try to slaughter your sacrificial animal in your local area. It will also be permissible to send money for your Qurbani to be done on your behalf.[1]

Mawlana Ali bin Cassim

Los Angeles, CA (USA)

[1] درر الحكام شرح غرر الأحكام (1/ 268)

(وَ) تَصَدَّقَ (بِقِيمَتِهَا غَنِيٌّ شَرَاهَا أَوْ لَا) يَعْنِي إنْ كَانَ غَنِيًّاتَصَدَّقَ بِقِيمَةِ الْأُضْحِيَّةِ اشْتَرَى أَوْ لَمْ يَشْتَرِ؛ لِأَنَّهَا وَاجِبَةٌ عَلَى الْغَنِيِّ فَإِذَا فَاتَ الْوَقْتُ وَجَبَ عَلَيْهِ التَّصَدُّقُ إخْرَاجًا لَهُ عَنْ الْعُهْدَةِ كَالْجُمُعَةِ تُقْضَى بَعْدَ فَوَاتِهَا ظُهْرًا وَالصَّوْمِ بَعْدَ الْعَجْزِ فِدْيَةٌ

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (6/ 320)

(قَوْلُهُ تَصَدَّقَ بِهَا حَيَّةً) لِوُقُوعِ الْيَأْسِ عَنْ التَّقَرُّبِ بِالْإِرَاقَةِ، وَإِنْ تَصَدَّقَ بِقِيمَتِهَا أَجْزَأَهُ أَيْضًا لِأَنَّ الْوَاجِبَ هُنَا التَّصَدُّقُ بِعَيْنِهَا وَهَذَا مِثْلُهُ فِيمَا هُوَ الْمَقْصُودُ اهـ ذَخِيرَةٌ

الاختيار لتعليل المختار (5/ 19)

(وَإِنْ كَانَ غَنِيًّا تَصَدَّقَ بِثَمَنِهَا اشْتَرَاهَا أَوْ لَا) لِأَنَّهَا وَاجِبَةٌ عَلَيْهِ، فَإِذَا فَاتَ وَقْتُ الْقُرْبَةِ فِي الْأُضْحِيَّةِ تَصَدَّقَ بِالثَّمَنِ إِخْرَاجًا لَهُ عَنِ الْعُهْدَةِ

فتاوى رحيمية 7/26؛ دار الاشاعت