Country: United Arab Emirates
Date: 13th October 2011

Is it permissible to perform wudhu in a washroom? Would it permissible to perform wudhu in a washbasin? Can I wash my feet in the toilet?

Question

Please give me a response to the following questions:

1.      The washroom in my office consists of toilets, urinals, wash basins and also there is a separate place to perform wudhu.  I would like to know if it is permissible to perform wudhu in such a washroom.  There could be some bad odour at times in the washroom.

2.      Can wudhu be performed by wearing shoes on a wash basin in a standing position?  I shall remove my shoes whilst washing my feet.

3.      In some washrooms, there are wash basins and toilets only.  Can wudhu be performed on the wash basin except the feet?  Can I wash the feet in the toilet as I cannot reach the wash basin?  

Answer

In principle, it is permissible to do wudhu standing and sitting.  It will have no impact on the validity of wudhu.  However, it would be better to sit and perform wudhu whenever possible.  If it is difficult to sit and perform wudhu, then there will be no objection in standing and performing wudhu.[i]

As long as your feet including your ankles are washed during wudhu, it will be permissible to do wudhu in a wash basin.[ii]  However, one must make sure he keeps the floor clean and dry.  It has sadly been witnessed in many public washrooms that Muslims leave the floor wet due to washing their feet.  We should be conscious at all times of not causing inconvenience to others.  Treat others like the way you would like to be treated.

It is undesirable to perform wudhu or a part of wudhu in a place of impurity.  However, if there is no option but to wash your feet in the toilet, it will be permissible for you to do so.  Be very cautious of coming into contact with impurities. [iii]      

Mawlana Faraz Ibn Adam,
UK

[i]  ومن آداب الوضوء.....الجلوس في مكان مرتفع (إمداد الفتاح ص 75 دار قباء)

مسائل رفعت قاسمي ج 1 ص 37 حامد كتب خانه

[ii]  (وغسل اليدين) أسقط لفظ فرادى لعدم تقييد الفرض بالانفراد (والرجلين) الباديتين السليمتين، فإن المجروحتين والمستورتين بالخف وظيفتهما المسح (مرة) لما مر (مع المرفقين والكعبين) على المذهب، (الدر المختار على تنوير الابصار ص 20 دار الكتب العلمية)

[iii]  وَمِنْ مَنْهِيَّاتِهِ :التَّوَضُّؤُ بِفَضْلِ مَاءِ الْمَرْأَةِ وَفِي مَوْضِعٍ نَجِسٍ ؛ لِأَنَّ لِمَاءِ الْوُضُوءِ حُرْمَةً  (الدر المختار على تنوير الابصار ص 32 دار الكتب العلمية)