Asked Country: Sri Lanka

Title: Could I accept Zakaat from my work place so that I may pay a credit card debt?

Question

I need to know whether i could accept zakath money from my company that is the company in which i work to pay off a credit card debt in which every month i am liable to pay interest for which i want to come out as soon as possible, but i am unable to pay of the amount???

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

In principle, if the debts of a person are equivalent to his surplus assets (including his receivables) or more than that, he is entitled to accept Zakaat.  Likewise, if his surplus assets are sufficient to clear his debts but after paying his debts, his remaining assets do not exceed the quantum of Nisaab he can also receive Zakaat.  However, if his surplus assets are such that even after clearing all his debts, they are equivalent to or more than the Nisaab, he cannot receive Zakaat.  The term “surplus assets” includes money and all those goods and property which are not required for his day-to-day needs.

From the above we understand that if you fit the aforementioned requirements (that after deducting -from your Zakaatable assets- the current payable instalments of the bond, you are still not left with surplus goods to the value of Nisaab) then you would be entitled to receive Zakaat and that may be used to pay off the debt (bond) until such a time that you are no more entitled to receive Zakaat.  Thereafter you may not be helped with Zakaat money.

Try and free yourself from the shackles of the interest curse as quickly as possible.  Also make Tawbah and seek repentance from Allah Ta’aala for the interest that you have and had to pay on your bond due to the circumstances that may have compelled you to take out a bond on interest. Allah’s messenger sallallahu alaihi wasallam has said

مَنْ لَزِمَ الاِسْتِغْفَارَ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لَهُ مِنْ كُلِّ ضِيقٍ مَخْرَجًا وَمِنْ كُلِّ هَمٍّ فَرَجًا وَرَزَقَهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لاَ يَحْتَسِبُ

The one who is abundant in istigfar, Allah will create for him an exit from every narrow path, an opening from every distress, and Allah will sustain him from where he could not imagine.

(Sunan Abi Dawūd, Hadith # 1520 )

Also make a firm resolution not to resort to such impermissible avenues in future.  May Allah Ta’aala save us all and grant us Halaal and pure sustenance with Barakah. Ameen

(هُوَ فَقِيرٌ ، وَهُوَ مَنْ لَهُ أَدْنَى شَيْءٍ ) أَيْ دُونَ نِصَابٍ أَوْ قَدْرُ نِصَابٍ غَيْرِ نَامٍ مُسْتَغْرِقٍ فِي الْحَاجَةِ .

ققوله: (مستغرق في الحاجة) كدار السكني وعبيد الخدمة وثياب البذلة وآلات الحرفة وكتب العلم للمحتاج إليها تدريسا أو حفظا أو تصحيحا كما مر أول الزكاة.

والحاصل أن النصاب قسمان: موجب للزكاة وهو النامي الخالي عن الدين. وغير موجب لها

وهو غيره، فإن كان مستغرقا بالحاجة لمالكه أباح أخذها، وإلا حرمه وأوجب غيرها من صدقة الفطر والاضحية ونفقة القريب المحرم كما في البحر وغيره.وله: (أي دون نصاب) أي نام فاضل عن الدين، فلو مديونا فهو مصرف

ردالمحتار-  ج 2 – ص 329 – ايج ايم سعيد

Raddul Muhtār : Vol. 2, Pg. 339-343

Mufti Hussein Issa,
Student of Darul Iftaa

Mozambique