Answered Date: Jun 29,2016

Title: Importance of I'tikaaf

Question

1. What is the Importance of Itekaf? and how it is observed?

2.Kindly confirm during Itekaf IEBADAAT are carried out Individualy/ separately or on JOINT GROUP basis?

3.I have observed that in a Mosque The Imam ask and advise the people for combine Iebadat. Is he right in his action or Mutakeef should perform their Iebadat Individually/separately, which is the BEST METHOD and WAY ?

Answer

Assalâmu `alaikum Warahmatullâhi Wabrakatuh,

1.      We attach herewith a document containing three Articles written on I’tikaaf. Insha’ Allah this will be a very beneficial read in this matter.

2.      In principal I’tikaaf refers to staying in the Masjid with the intention of remaining there for the particular period of time. There is no particular Ibadah specified for I’tikaaf. Those ibâdât which can be done in congregation like Fardh Salah, Ta’lîm ut Ta’allum etc. can be carried out in gatherings. One may also engage in individual ibadât like nawafil, Qur’an recitation, tasbîhât etc. as well.

3.      It will depend on the type of ibadah being prescribed. If the Imam Saheb makes halaqas and teach them how to recite Qur’an or hold dhikr majlis for all the mu’takafeen then there will be immense benefit from these gatherings. If there is some particular ibadah you wish to ask about, please reply to us for clarification.

And Allah Ta’âla Knows Best

Mawlana Faisal bin Abdul Hameed
Canada