Country: Saudi Arabia
Date: 31st May 2011

Please advise about a person who says I am a Muslim just because I was born to Muslim parents. He does not pray or fast at all.

Question

Assalam-o-Alaikum

Please advise about a person who says I am a Muslim just because I was born to Muslim parents. He does not pray or fast at all. He is married for last 17 years with two children. His wife was concerned about his believes and her relationship between them if it is valid or not, and asked him so many times to repent and start praying but he says I am a Muslim and I believe in Allah but never ask me to pray or fast again.

Q1, Can we call this man Muslim and in the circle of Islam?

Q2, What should his wife do? Should she continue living with him? She has fear that if she ask him again he will leave her and her children.

Kindly advise is detail.

Jazakallah Khair Wassalam

Answer

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

The person in reference is a muslim. He himself says he is a Muslim and believes in Allah. His nikah to his wife is still intact. The husband is sinful for not fulfilling his obligation in shariah. If the husband gets offended with the wife advising him to practice on shariah and that will cause further marital disputes.

She should look for the right time and opportunity to get across to her husband to the best of her ability. She should make dua to Allah to give tawfeeq to her husband to practice on the shariah.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best,

Muftī Ebrahim Desai

Daruliftaa
35 Candella Rd, Durban, South Africa