Date: 26th May 2011

I have a question about my children. When a child is on punishment, , should the child be allowed to have extra things like dessert, candy, or treats?

Question

Salaam Alakium,

I have a question about my children. When a child is on punishment (like grounded for getting in trouble at school for bad behaviour or for bad behaviour at home), should the child be allowed to have extra things like dessert, candy, or treats?

Thank you kindy for your help.

Answer

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

It is compulsory upon parents to discipline their children and raise them with good habits. There is no specific method of disciplining children for bad behavior and conduct. Whatever reasonable method proves effective may be adopted.

To deprive children of the luxuries referred to in your email to discipline them is reasonable. Apart from adopting these measures, make duā’for the good conduct and piety of one’s children is very effective. The parent’s duā’sfor one’s children are accepted.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best,

Muftī Ebrahim Desai

Daruliftaa
35 Candella Rd, Durban, South Africa