Answered Date: May 06,2011

Title: Are pork enzymes haram to eat? ... a wise person I trust told me that the prophet mohmmad (PBOH) said that "if the pork weights less than an ounce then it is okay to eat".

Question

Are pork enzymes haram to eat?

I dont beleive so, because enzymes are so very small (smaller than an atom) and a wise person I trust told me that the prophet mohmmad (PBOH) said that "if the pork weights less than an ounce then it is okay to eat".

One of the reason that we don’t eat pork is because it is bad for you right? well pork enzyemes are so small that you would have to get a huge big-high tech. microscope just to see it, and even then it is still not clear! so it wouldn’t affect your body at all.

I want to know if it is okay to eat them? my friend think that all enzymes are haram but it is only a chemical that is use to speed up a reaction. I am a young mulim trying to get answer, can you help me please?

Answer

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

Pork is haram (absolutely prohibited. Pork enzymes are also haram. There is no hadith that states one may eat lesser than one ounce of enzymes.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best,

Muftī Ebrahim Desai

Daruliftaa
35 Candella Rd, Durban, South Africa