Answered Date: Apr 28,2011

Title: Can you please tell me how the ( Father name and mother name) property will be distributed among the childern. We are total 4 children (2 son and 2 daughters.)

Question

We have property in the name of my father and my mother. My father passed away six years back and my mother is alive ( Alhamdolillah). Can you please tell me how the ( Father name and mother name) property will be distributed among the childern. We are total 4 children (2 son and 2 daughters.)

Answer

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

You state your mother is alive. May Allah Taala keep her shadow on your’ll for a long time, Ameen.

The property is in your father’s and mother’s name. Is your mother also the owner of the property or the property is merely registered on her name also?

If she is also the owner, what is the proportion of her ownership in the property?

In any event, your father’s estate will be distributed in 48 equal shares as follows:

The wife (your mother) will receive 6 shares

Each son will receive 14 shares and

Each daughter will receive 7 shares.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best,

Muftī Ebrahim Desai

Daruliftaa
35 Candella Rd, Durban, South Africa