if my wifes brother and paternal uncle come to me and said your wife want khula, i asked them to show me proof they denied to do so and even didn't allow me to talk to my wife however they threatened me and my family member and forced on me

Question

As-salam o alaikum,

if my wifes brother and paternal uncle come to me and said your wife want khula, i asked them to show me proof they denied to do so and even didn't allow me to talk to my wife however they threatened me and my family member and forced on me to give khula, so i signed a paper on which it was written that "after receiving khula request i am accepting it and giving three talaq to my wife " i never utter talaq word in that meeting also khula was taken without giving any compensation one of the main requirement of Khula . After signing the khula paper my wife contacted me and said she doesn’t want khula and my parents are forcing me to do so. And after this talk she signed khula application thinking that forceful khula doesn't happen. i and my wife thinks we are still married and we both want to carry our married life again, my questions are 1> Is khula happened? 2> what is the significance of the 3 talaq which i signed? Please answer me as early as possible. Jazakallahu khaira. (NOTE: my in-laws now shameful on their act and want Islamic ruling on this matter (especially Masalke hanfi's ruling and Ahmed RAZA khan's verdict on this matter)

Answer

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabrakatuh,

If what you wrote in your email is correct, then the conduct of your inlaws was most unfortunate and uncalled for. If there is a problem, there are many civil ways of resolving them.

In order for us to issue you a ruling, kindly explain what you meant by your inlaws threatening you. What did they do? Was your life threatened? If not, what then led you to sign the document? Was the letter from your wife? Was she forced to write and sign the letter? What would be the implications if she did not sign the letter? You may respond to us with all these answers to consider the validity of the khula and the talaq.

Please email us at admin@daruliftaa.net

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best,

Muftī Ebrahim Desai

Daruliftaa
35 Candella Rd, Durban, South Africa