Title: I'm pregnant and spotted a little. Do I have to perform ghusl?

Question

I am 6 weeks pregnant but last night I spotted a little. Should I perform ghusl for tahārah or not?

Answer

In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

No, you do not have to perform ghusl because the “spotting” you saw was istihāda (irregular bleeding).[i]

Istihāda does, however, negate wudhū unless one qualifies as a ma'zūr (excused person). For details on that please refer to the following answer: http://askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=c814bbeafe9a44a08ac93a07255d06f7

And Allāh knows best.

Ml. Sohail Bengali
Chicago, IL (USA)

Concurred by:

Muftī Abrar Mirza
Chicago, IL (USA)

Under the Supervision of Muftī Ebrahim Desai (South Africa)

( وما تراه ) صغيرة دون تسع على المعتمد وآيسة على ظاهر المذهب و ( حامل ) [i]

( ولو قبل خروج أكثر الولد ( استحاضة

رد المحتار كتاب الطهارة، باب الحيض: ١ / ٤٧٧ دار الكتب العلمية

________________________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER – AskImam.org questions

AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes.  However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·         The Shar’ī ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·         AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·         This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.

·         Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.  Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.