1. What is the accurate time interval for cutting the hair under the arms and in the pubic region for a woman? 4o days or after every menstruation when fardh ghusl is obligatory?
2. Is husband allowed for cutting his wife’s pubic region hair?
In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
عن أنس بن مالك قال قال أنس وقت لنا فى قص الشارب وتقليم الأظفار ونتف الإبط وحلق العانة أن لا نترك أكثر من أربعين ليلة (صحيح مسلم)
Anas (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam) stipulated the time for trimming the mustache, clipping the nails, plucking the armpit hair, shaving the private parts, that it should not exceed forty days. (Sahih Muslim)
It is necessary to remove pubic hair and hair of the underarms within a period that does not exceed forty days. If one does not do so within forty days, it will constitute as a sin.
(Bahishti Zewar, 2/82, Zam Zam Publishers)
As for your second question, it is permissible but undesirable to do so.
And Allāh knows best.
Muftī Asif Umar
Washington, DC (USA)
Muftī Abrar Mirza
Chicago, IL (USA)
Under the Supervision of Muftī Ebrahim Desai (South Africa)
DISCLAIMER – AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
· The Shar’ī ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
· AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
· This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
· Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.