Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Title: Can Zakat be given to a Sayyid if he is needy? Some time ago, I missed some fasts. What do I do?

Question

1) Can Zakat be given to a Sayyed family? I know that it cannot be given; but what if they are in need for their children’s education or in need of household items? I want to help them. Please do let me know as others are against it. Jazakallah in advance for your reply.

2) Around 10-12 years ago (age 18), I missed some fasts due to jaundice and travelling; but till now I have not made up for it. What is the ruling for this?

Answer

In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

1) Zakat cannot be given to a Sayyid. You may, however, help the Sayyid family as much as you want through voluntary charity.

(Fatawa Mahmoodiya: 9/551,552, Deoband)

(Raddul Muhtaar: 3/352, Darul Ma’rifa)

2) You must make up for the missed fasts as soon as possible by fasting for the number of days that you missed. This is called making qadaa of the missed fasts. Allah Ta’ala says in the Holy Qur’an:

فَمَنْ شَهِدَ مِنْكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ وَمَنْ كَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَى سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ

“Therefore whoever of you is present in the month (of Ramadan), he must fast therein; and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he must fast) a (like) number of other days” (Quran 2:185)

For qadaa fast to be valid, you must make intention (in your heart) of keeping qadaa fast at night before the time of Fajr salaat sets in. It is not necessary to keep all the qadaa fasts consecutively, although doing so is preferable so that one’s obligation is fulfilled as soon as possible. You may keep qadaa fast on any day besides the two Eid days and the three days after the Eid-ul-Adha, as keeping fast on these five days is impermissible.

One who has had the chance of making up for his missed fasts but did not do so until he is no longer able to do so, must make a bequest for fidya (compensation) equivalent to the amount given in Sadaqatul Fitr to be given to the poor from his wealth in lieu of each day of fast pending upon him.

(Al-Ikhtiyaar: 1/194, Dar Quba)

(Raddul Muhtaar: 3/461, Darul Ma’rifa)

And Allāh knows best.

Ml. Faizal Riza
Melbourne
, Australia

Concurred by:

Muftī Abrar Mirza
Chicago
, IL (USA)

Under the Supervision of Muftī Ebrahim Desai (South Africa)

________________________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER – AskImam.org questions

AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes.  However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·         The Shar’ī ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·         AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·         This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.

·         Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.  Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.