Country: Bangladesh
Date: 25th November 2010

Is “Salallahu alahy wa sallam” darud?

Question

I know that “Sallallahu Alayhi Wasalaam” is a darud and sometimes I say it as a darud. Recently I was told that it is not a darud. Please kindly give me information regarding this issue.

Answer

In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

The phrase “ صلى الله عليه وسلم is a form of Salah (darud).

When the name of Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) is taken, it is wajib (compulsory) to mention salah (darud) once.  Thereafter, it is mustahabb (desirable) to recite the Salah (darud) every time one says the name of Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) or hears someone else say his name.

When writing, some people abbreviate the words and use “saws” or “saw ” or “صلعم, as a short form of Salah (darud). This is not enough. One should write the full Salah and Salam (that is: صلى الله عليه وسلم or salallahu alayhi wa sallam).1

And Allāh knows best.

Ml. Sohail Bengali
Chicago, IL (USA)

Concurred by:

Muftī Abrar Mirza
Chicago, IL (USA)

Under the Supervision of Muftī Ebrahim Desai (South Africa)

________________________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER – AskImam.org questions

AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes.  However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·         The Shar’ī ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·         AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·         This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.

·         Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.  Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.

1   Maariful Quran, English Edition, Volume 7, pg 232, Maktaba Darululoom Karachi