Country: Pakistan
Date: 8th November 2010

I covered my head for an hour while in ihraam, what do I have to do now?

Question

One of my friend is in makkah to perform hajj, in makkah he has performed umrah, after that he want to to  do  one more, he will  go  to  masjid e isha make a neyat of umrah and forget to leave the  cap, from masjid e isha to harm cap is on his  head and after a hour he know  about that and  we put off it, please tell us about that and is there is a kaffara or dum or astagfar wajib on him?, please guide us, your urgent reply  will be highly appriciated

Answer

In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Since the covering (hat, cap, etc) was on the head for less than a day in  the state of Ihraam, your friend will have to give Sadaqah equivalent to the amount of Sadaqat-ul-Fitr. The Sadaqah is due whether your friend covered his head forgetfully or on purpose.1

There is no damm (sacrifical animal) due in this case.2

And Allāh knows best.

Ml. Sohail Bengali
Chicago, IL (USA)

Concurred by:

Muftī Abrar Mirza
Chicago, IL (USA)

Under the Supervision of Muftī Ebrahim Desai (South Africa)

________________________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER – AskImam.org questions

AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes.  However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·         The Shar’ī ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·         AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·         This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.

·         Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.  Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.

1        Fataawa Rahimiyyah, English Edition, Volume 3, Chapter of Hajj pg. 204, Darul-Ishaat, 2008

2   Ibid.