Asked Country: Bangladesh

Title: Can I use Zakat and Interest money to build a boundary wall around the house in which my sister and brother are living?

Question

My parents have passed away several years ago. My father had a house that is not surrounded by boundary wall. We are 5 sisters and one brother. My brother (36 years old) is unemployed and depends on sisters for his livelihood. Now my brother and one of my sister are living in that house. As there is no boundary wall, the house is open for stranger people that is very unlawful in the viewpoint of women’s purda.  But they have no money to construct the boundary wall. I have some money in the bank and zakat is also fardz for me. May I use the zakat money and interest money raising from bank for the construction the boundary wall?

Answer

In the Name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

May Allah reward you for wanting to help your siblings and constructing a boundary wall for them. Ameen.

You may give Zakat money to your sister and/or brother if they are not Sahib Nisaab.

A Sahib Nisaab is one whose surplus wealth equals 612.35 grams of silver, its equivalent in cash, funds, or anything made of gold or silver (i.e. jewelry, ornaments, utensils, etc.) which has been in their possession for a year or more.1

They also cannot be from amongst the descendants of Bani-Hashim, the clan of Rasulullah (salallahu alayhi wa sallam).2 If they are descended from Bani-Hashim, then you should assist them through your regular savings or wealth.

You can also have the boundary wall built on their behalf with the Zakat money. However, this must be accompanied by an unconditional and real transfer of ownership of the boundary wall to the recipient of the Zakat. They should then be entitled to use it or dispose of it as they wish.3

It is forbidden, impermissible and a great sin to earn interest. You should transfer your account as soon as possible to a non-interest bearing account at your bank.

As for the interest money that you have already accumulated, you may give it to one or both of your siblings if they are eligible to receive Zakat without the  intention of seeking reward.4

And Allāh knows best.

Ml. Sohail Bengali
Chicago, IL (USA)

Concurred by:

Muftī Abrar Mirza
Chicago, IL (USA)

Under the Supervision of Muftī Ebrahim Desai (South Africa)

________________________________________________________________________
Visit us at:
http://www.askimam.org
http://groups.google.com/group/shariahcompliant  [Shariah Compliant Business Campaign] |http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shifaa [As-Shifā` Islamic Forum] | http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ulama_sa [Ulamā-SA Islamic Forum]

DISCLAIMER – AskImam.org questions

AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Sharī’ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes.  However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·         The Shar’ī ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·         AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·         This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.

·         Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.  Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.

1   Bahishti Zewar, pg. 233 & pg. 243, English Edition, Publisher: Darul Ishaat, 2002

2   ولا يدفع إلى بني هاشم وهم آل علي وآل عباس وآل جعفر وآل عقيل وآل حارث إبن عبد المطلب ومواليهم

مختصر القدوري كتاب ألزكوة ص.٤٩ قديمي كتب خانة  

3   Contemporary Fataawa, pgs. 87-88, Publisher: Idara-e-Islamiyat, 2001

4   Contemporary Fataawa, pgs. 217-218, Publisher: Idara-e-Islamiyat, 2001