Title: On my marriage last year (July 2009)my parents gave me 450 gm of gold. My husband has a debt of around 5 lakhs (Indian Rupees) he had

Question

On my marriage last year (July 2009)my parents gave me 450 gm of gold. My husband has a debt of around 5 lakhs (Indian Rupees) he had taken for his house pending, I would like to know how to calculate Zakaat, Should i calculate on the 450 grams of gold I possess, or should i reduce the debt my husband owns for the house and then calculate zakaat. We do not have any other savings.

Request you to clarify my doubt on this.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

You should pay zakat on 450 gm of Gold which is in your possession. You cannot deduct your husband’s debt from your gold. Everyone is liable to pay his own zakat.

(Aap kay Masail, Vol. 3, Pg.346, Maktabah Bayyinaat)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum 

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā