Country: United Arab Emirates
Date: 1st October 2010

Can i continue my fast and will it be accepted by Allah on the grounds of forgetfulness?

Question

Assalaam alaykum  , today morning missed suhoor. Got up late ie. at 5.30 am . The imsak timing being 4.32 and fajr salah at 4.42 am. Thought i could have a glass of water before fajr and keep my saum. Just after a sip of water realised that it was nearly an hour after fajr salah. Was very disappointed. Now it is 10 am here and i haven't consumed anything. Can i continue my fast and will it be accepted by Allah on the grounds of forgetfulness?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

In principal, if water goes down the throat it invalidates one’s fast. Hence your fast was invalid as you sipped it after imsaak time started. You have to make qadha of your missed fast. There will be no sin upon you since you did it forgetfully.

(Aap kay Masail, Vol.3, Pg.282, Maktabah Bayyinaat)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum 

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā