Country: Saudi Arabia
Date: 27th September 2010

Can i perform Hajj on behalf of my deceased father?

Question

can i perform fard haj on behalf of my father who died in india assuming ahram from saudi arabia?can i meet the expenses from my money and can later on take the expenses once i reach india after completing haj?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

1. If a person passes away, leaving behind so much of wealth that after paying all his debts, there is sufficient wealth to fulfill the bequest of hajj e badal, then it will be wājib on the inheritors of the estate to fulfill this bequest from one third of his wealth. However, if this wealth is not sufficient, then it is permissible for the heirs of the estate to assist in fulfilling this bequest.
  2. It will be permissible for you as the son to perform hajj on behalf of your father with your own wealth and later on claim the money from one third of his estate. The Ihrām should be adorned from the mīqāt and may also be adorned from India if one desires to do so.

(Bahishti Zewar, Pg. 324, Zam Zam)

(Fatāwa Mahmudiyyah, Vol.10, Pg.401, Faruqiyah)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum 

Ml. Ebrahim bin Khaliel Ahmed Desai,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā