Date: 27th September 2010

I was wondering if I could concentrate on clearing family debts and other expenses for now and do Hajj next year with my family. And if I do go to Hajj this year alone, do I have to leave work if I can’t get a holiday?

Question

My wife and me are both working in two separate countries as the current situation warrants this for the time being. Since she can cover her own expenses I normally help her pay any leftover debts. And I have alhamdulillah managed to clear my own debts too now, but some of her debt still remains. I tend to give a fair portion of my earnings to help her.

Since I’ve cleared my own debts, I have begun to save a little without intending to. As it happens, I have enough money for me to go to Hajj this year. I work full time and I didn’t plan for this situation, so it’s very unlikely to get a holiday now. My plan was to go next year inshallah.

I was wondering if I could concentrate on clearing family debts and other expenses for now and do Hajj next year with my family.  And if I do go to Hajj this year alone, do I have to leave work if I can’t get a holiday?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

If you have surplus money that is sufficient for you to perform Haj, then Haj is compulsory upon you.

You should endeavour to perform Haj this year. If you are unable to do so, you should do so next year. Should you pass away before next year, you will have to make a wasiyat for Hajj e Badal on your behalf to be fulfilled from 1/3rd of your estate after burrial expenses and debts.

And Allāh Ta῾āla knows best

Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Dārul Iftā