Date: 9th September 2010

Dear Imam Alhamdolillah, I currently support my family (9 members) for their day to day expenditures. My father has debts which unfortunately he cannot pay. Can I pay my zakat to pay his debts if the money is not directly handled by him and goes to creditors.

Question

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

Zakah can only be given to the recipients of zakah. Thus, if the creditors are eligible of zakah and you give them the money with the intention of zakah, zakah will be discharged although they may consider it to be the payment of your father’s account.

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concurred by: Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā