Date: 6th September 2010

My son he is a new Hafiz leading a taraweeh at my home. Unfortunately there are no hafiz behind him. So what I am doing standing behind him in salah with ythe Quran in my...

Question

My son he is a new Hafiz leading a taraweeh at my home. Unfortunately there are no hafiz behind him. So what I am doing standing behind him in salah with ythe Quran in my one hand and following him what he reciting. I make sure he don't make any mistake so I can give him a Lukma. I know according to Hanafi Madhab it's not allowed and I am a Hanafi.

Because there are no Hafiz so I desided to do that. Can you please let me know b ok at the abovessitation i am in is this allowed. If not what are my options.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

Looking into Qur’ān and correcting the Imām will nullify one’s Salāh.1 We suggest that when ever your son forgets he should complete the salāh and carry on from there in the next tarāwīh. The other option will be, in two rakāts of tarāwīh let your son read as much as he can, after completing 11/4  or 1 1/2   pārah for the day, he should then recite the last ten sūrahs in the remaining of tarāwīh, by adopting this method inshallāh there will be less chances of mistakes.

(Fatāwa Dārul ῾Uloom Deoband, Vol.4, Pg.68)1

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā