Date: 6th September 2010

when i was younger i used to masturbate whilst fasting. Only recently have I discovered that masturbating breaks ones fast. I cannot recall how many times I masturbated and hence the number of fasts. How do I recompensate for the fats broken?

Question

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

Masturbating is a major sin, such a person is cursed by Allah Ta’āla and his Holy Prophet sallallahu alayhe wasallam, Therefore, one should sincerely repent from this evil habit.    

In the state of fasting, if one has to ejaculates after masturbating, then he will have to repeat this fast and there is no kaffārah.

(Fatāwa Rahimiyyah, Vol.7, Pg.262, Dārul ῾Ishā῾at)

Apply your discretion in estimating the number of qadhā (missed fasts) and then fast accordingly1. While observing missed fasts of Ramadan, it is not necessary to specify the day and date, however, if one has missed few fasts of two or more Ramadāns, then it will be necessary to specify the year.2

(Fatāwa Dāurl ῾Uloom Deoband, Vol.6, Pg.429, Maktabah Imdadiyyah)1

(Bahisti Zewar, Pg.314, Zam Zam)2

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā