Country: Kenya
Date: 3rd September 2010

My wife is pregnant, in her third month of pregnancy. We also have a 7 month old child who is still breastfeeding. My wife feels very nauscious during the day, when she is fasting, and she suffers alot from this. She feels that if she could eat something, it would get better. In this situation, will it be permissible to break the fast?

Question

My wife is pregnant, in her third month of pregnancy. We also have a 7 month old child who is still breastfeeding. My wife feels very nauscious during the day, when she is fasting, and she suffers alot from this. She feels that  if she could eat something, it would get better. In this situation, will it be permissible to break the fast?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

It is permissible for her not to fast if she fears some harm which she thinks will most likely affect her and or her baby.

(Bahashti Zewar, Pg.17, 3rd Part, Maktabah Thanwy)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abduz Zaman, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā