Country: United Arab Emirates
Date: 3rd September 2010

I just wanted to consult you on the issue of difference in Time Zones. I live and work in Dubai, UAE whereas my parents live in Pakistan. I often visit them especially on the occasions of EIDs. Pakistan is usually one day behind in Hijri months from UAE. As this time also, I intend to visit my parents, I would like to know what shall I do on the 30

Question

I just wanted to consult you on the issue of difference in Time Zones. I live and work in Dubai, UAE whereas my parents live in Pakistan. I often visit them especially on the occasions of EIDs. Pakistan is usually one day behind in Hijri months from UAE. As this time also, I intend to visit my parents, I would like to know what shall I do on the 30th Ramadan there in Pakistan as it would be my 31st saum considering that I begain fasting from 1st Ramadan in UAE? Am I allowed to observe a nafli fast(saum) or shall I offer EID Salah?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

You should keep that  additional (31st fast) as nafil fast and perform your Eid Salah according to Pakistan.

(Aap kay Masail, Vol.3, Pg.328, Maktabah Bayyinaat)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abduz Zaman, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā