Country: Canada
Date: 2nd September 2010

I have a dentist appoinment tomorrow and they are most probably taking my braces off. This will make me bleed from my mouth and they will add

Question

I have a dentist appoinment tomorrow and they are most probably taking my braces off. This will make me bleed from my mouth and they will add water and this may cause blood/water to go down my throat. Also, they might add some other substances that have taste/flavour in my mouth. This is a problem because this is the month of ramadan and i am fasting. Would that break my fast? And if it does, should I fast tomorrow or miss the fast and make up for it after? Please advise me the best solution to this problem.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

In principle, fast remains intact as long as water, blood and any other substance does not pass beyond the throat. If possible, try and get appointment after Maghrib or after Ramadhan to avoid this situation.

(Aap Kay Masail, Vol.3, Pg.290, Matabah Bayyinaat)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abduz Zaman, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā