Country: Canada
Date: 24th August 2010

This year our masjid has broadcasted Live Taraweeh prayers on the INternet. The masjid is 5 mins walk from my house. I want to know if the Women can follow the LIve Taraweeh prayers from the internet, while at home So what I mean is that the Live

Question

I have a very important concern regarding Taraweeh prayers for Women. 
This year our masjid has broadcasted Live Taraweeh prayers on the INternet.  The masjid is 5 mins walk from my house. 
I want to know if the Women can follow the LIve Taraweeh prayers from the internet, while at home So what I mean is that the Live Taraweeh prayer is going on and the women make congregation at home, following the Imam at the masjid (through the LIVE TARAWeeh from the internet)
this means that the same time the taraweeh happening at the masjid and the same time the women can pray at home because they can hear the Imam sahib leading taraweeh on the internet
Is it permissible for the sisters/women?   Is the Taraweeh prayers of women valid if they follow the LIve Taraweeh of Imam sahib from the masjid which is 5 mins away?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

It is not permissible to follow live taraweeh through any medium of broadcasting while at home.

(Fatawa Shami, Vol.1, Pg.588, H M Saeed)

(Khairul Fatawa, Vol.2, Pg.391,Maktabah Imdadiyyah)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by: Ml. Abduz Zaman, Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā