Country: Taiwan
Date: 24th August 2010

I have been suffering from Migraines and Tension Headaches since i was a child. Now i am 40 and still having this problem , I get headaches several times every month and they come without any warning.

Question

I have been suffering from Migraines and Tension Headaches since i was a child. Now i am 40 and still having this problem , I get headaches several times every month and they come without any warning.

When i try to fast during Ramadan i get severe headache which virtually paralyze me.My mother also have had this kind of problem and she could  not fast due to this problem. I am unable to fast and I am very frustrated and i make dua that Allah ( s.w.t) gives me the health and strength so i can do fasting just like other normal people.

Mufti Sahib , please let me know will i be considered " Mazoor" due to this? These headaches are not life threatening but severe and debilitating enough to knock me down and leave me extremely exhausted and unable to do anything such as work or take care of my family. Few years ago I have tried fasting by taking a pain killer in advance in morning " sehri" but now I can no longer use effective pain killers such as Ibuprofen ,Voren etc as i already have developed allergies to them and my doctor has warned me that further use of these medications may cause analyphtic shock which can be fatal.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

We make dua that Allah jalla jalāluhu grant you and your mother Shifa’e Kaamil, Aajil and Mustamir. Read 131 times YA SALAAMU along with other masnoon duas for cure.

Regarding your query, we suggest you to consult an expert Muslim Doctor. If the doctor informs you that fasting would worsen your sickness, then you will be excused from fasting.

If you get better in future, then you have to make qadhaa of your missed fasts. Otherwise, you have to give fidyah (which is equal to the Sadqatul Fitr) for each fast.

(Bahashti Zewar, 3rd part, Pg.17, Maktabah Thanwi)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by:

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb
Dārul Iftā