Country: Canada
Date: 18th August 2010

I like to pray salaatul awabeen after magrib salaah - my husband insists on eating dinner together after magrib salaah. Do i listen to him or ignore him - esp. In this month of ramadhan. Please help.

Question

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

It is the quality of a believer that he/she always hasten in good deeds especially in the month of Ramadān, wherein every nafl is equal to fardh and every fardh is equal to 70 farā’idh.

Although great virtue has been recorded in the books of ahādith regarding awābīn salāh, however, we suggest that you discuss the issue with your husband in a very polite manner. After, explaining him with tact and wisdom if he still insists, then remember forcing your husband to do something or trying to subdue him is a sign of immaturity. Although you may not understand the evil consequences of this now, once there is an outbreak of dissension and quarreling, the evil consequences of this will definitely appear at some time or the other.

Therefore, first have dinner with your husband and if time allows then perform your awābīn salāh.

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by:

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā