Asked Country: Canada

Title: 1. Is Iblis from the nation of Angels or from Jins. I heard that he was from Jins. But I read in a book that Iblis is from angels, which is mentioned in Surah Bakarh....2. My boss gave me invitation to his daughter's birthday party. It will be a mixed sex gathering. Should I attend the bithday party with my wife?

Question

1. Is Iblis from the nation of Angels or from Jins. I heard that he was from Jins. But I read in a book that Iblis is from angels, which is mentioned in Surah Bakarh.

Please clarify.

2. My boss gave me invitation to his daughter's birthday party. It will be a mixed sex gathering. Should I attend the bithday party with my wife?

If not, how can I tell my boss without creating any relation-problem? Is it permissable to give gifts in birthdays?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

In principle it is impermissible to attend a gathering where there is intermingling of sexes[1]. Furthermore as Muslims we do not celebrate birthday parties. For further enlightenment on this issue you can view fatwa #6627 on the ASK IMAM site.

You should explain to your boss that you appreciate his invitation but unfortunately your religion does not allow you to attend mixed gatherings of men and women nor is it part of our religion to celebrate birthday parties.

If doing so will jeopardize your job, then make a reasonable excuse to your boss for your absence.  This will make him feel that you did not disregard his invitation.

Ultimately you should understand that Allāh Tā`la is the one who sustains us and it is not ones job, profession, etc, that sustains and fulfils our needs. Hence we should put our trust in Allāh Ta`la and not  in our means. If you adopt Taqwa (Allāh consciousness) and abstain from the party then Allāh Tā’la will make a way out of this predicament for you.

Allāh Tā`la says in the Holy Qurān:

Whomsoever fears Allāh, he will make for him a way out (of every problem), and he will sustain him from means he could never imagine. And whoever puts his trust in Allāh, then he will suffice him.

(Surā.65, Verse,2/3)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Muhammed Sindhi,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā, Madrasah In῾āmiyyah

________________________________________________________________________
Visit us at:
http://www.al-inaam.com  [ Madrasah In῾āmiyyah ]  | http://www.askimam.org  [ Dārul Iftā - Madrasah In῾āmiyyah ] |http://groups.google.com/group/shariahcompliant  [Shari῾ah Compliant Business Campaign] |http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shifaa [As-Shifā` Islamic Forum] | http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ulama_sa [Ulamā-SA Islamic Forum]

DISCLAIMER - Dārul Iftā questions

The Dārul Iftā answers issues pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and can not be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. To ensure this Askimam.org will start to flag such questions. Previous questions on Askimam.org do not carry such cautionary message.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·          The Shar῾ī ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·          The Dārul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Dārul Iftā being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·          This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Dārul Iftā.

·          Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.

و لو علم قبل الحضور لا يحضر لانه لم يلزمه حق الدعوة (الهداية ، كتاب الكراهية) و و من دعي الى و ليمة او طعام فوجد ثم لعبا او غناءا فلا بأس بالقعود.....[1]