Date: 13th June 2010

My question is when we are in middle of prayers and has realized that your wadhu is broken (passing of gas) so in this case do I have to pay any Kaffara or I

Question

My question is when we are in middle of prayers and has realized that your wadhu is broken (passing of gas) so in this case do I have to pay any Kaffara or I have to pray this namaz again.  In another scenario what if you are imam(leading Prayers) and you lost wadhu. What can be done in this case and what kaffara I have to pay.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

There is no kaffārah, and you will have to repeat the salāh. In the second scenario it is permissible for the Imām to appoint someone from amongst the muqtadīs as his deputy (preferably the Mudrik) however, the Masā’il of Binā (basing one salāh on another) are complicated and because of a lack of knowledge the possibility of mistakes is inevitable. It is therefore better not to continue the salāh. Instead, one should break the salāh by making salām and repeat the entire salāh, and there is no kaffārah.

(Fatāwa Mahmodiyyah, Vol.6, Pg.576)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā