Fatwa: # 18643
Category: Character & Morals
Country: United States
Date: 4th May 2010


I am going through a difficult time whereby a male is harassing me


I am going through a difficult time whereby a male is harassing me, we had a relationship when I was younger but that is finished now and I have repented sincerely, my character and involvement in religion has completely changed since then. This man has my home number and knows where I live and work and shows threatening behaviour outside my house (he is also a Muslim) and my family do not know about this. When this happens I pray to Allah for this to stop as Allah is in control of everything. I ask for God’s help all the time but it doesn’t look like this will ever end and even when I will get married I know this man will do something to stop it or bring shame to my family in front of everyone. My question is, as is another person tormenting me can Allah stop the behaviour of people or will this male do anything he wants as it is his free will and God is testing him? And what is the punishment for the male and his behaviour? Lastly if there is any dua for my situation please let me know.


In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh


Jazakillah for writing to the institution regarding your problem. May Allah Ta’ala protect you from harm, ameen.

Sister, I suggest that you report this matter to your brother or some male person in your family whom you trust.

It is very important for you to take your family into your confidence so that you can stop this man immediately.’

He is doing this because you are giving him the power to control you.

He knows you are afraid to go to anybody for help.

You need to take this power away from him.

If you do not stop him, he can make your life a misery and you can become mentally exhausted due to anxiety.

If you cannot talk to your family, then approach the imaam of your local masjid to speak to him and tell him to stop “Stalking” you.

Third,  since you are living in USA, I suggest that you report him to the police after you have warned him.


Allow me to also suggest that you engage in sincere  repentance of your previous actions, be punctual with your salaah, make abundant zikr and give charity daily, even if it is small amount.

Turn to  Allah Ta’ala  for guidance so that you can change your lifestyle completely and learn what your responsibilities and duties are to yourself as a Muslim woman.

May Allah Ta’ala  protect you from this man’s evil intentions and guide you, ameen.

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum 

Social Dept.
Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Dārul Iftā

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]