Asked Country: Sri Lanka

Title: my brother passed away leaving his one son one dauther, and our mother...

Question

my brother passed away leaving his one  son one dauther, and our mother,

when i checked with a Ulama he said his out of  24, 4 portion would go the mother, 3 to his wife, and 17 would be divided among childred, kindly let me know this undestanding is correct, also my brtoher has  deposit, which for which he has nomited his wife, my second question is whether we can get that deposit amount also for the distribution of total wealth.?

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

The estate will be divided into 72 equal shares and distributed amongst the heirs as follows;
The son will receive 34 shares

The daughter will receive 17 shares

The mother will receive 12 shares

The wife will receive 9 shares

As for the deposited money, if the decased has made his wife the owner, then it will not be consider as part of the estate, however if it was given to her just to look after, then it will be added to the estate.

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best

Wassalāmu ῾alaykum 

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Dārul Iftā